How to fix vSphere and vCenter datastore reverting to old size
- You increased the size of a datastore in the past, but now when you open vCenter, you see the old (smaller) size displayed. There may be low disk space warnings.
- Web client for vCenter 6.5 and vSphere 6.5 and probably vCenter 6.0 and vSphere 6.0
- If you refresh the datastore information, the correct size displays and the warnings go away temporarily.
- The problem re-occurs.
According to the VMWare forums, this is caused by having different ESXi versions on the hosts in the datacenter. Such as one host has Update 1 and another host has Update 3. The recommended fix is to simply update all ESXi to the same version.
What happens if you can’t?
In my case, I needed to use a custom HP image for some servers, and I’m not going to take down the other hosts to install that custom image. So I kept trying things and found a good workaround.
For EACH host in the datacenter that had a connection to the faulty storage, I performed these steps:
- Navigate to Hosts & Clusters tab
- Select first host
- Configure tab
- Storage Devices tab
- Click button “Refresh host storage info…”
- Click button “Rescan all storage adapters…”
- Repeat for next host.